Wat Pratu Pong

Facilities for Disabled People

PARKING

DISABILITY

TOILET

Disabled Movement

Blind

Lift

Facilities

TOILET

FOOD

SOUVENIR

PARKING

PET

Elderly

Children

Infant

*green service available
**Yellow means it is in the process of being improved or is available but not yet up to standard.
***Gray (red) means there are no supporting facilities yet.

Wat Pratu Pong

Wat Pratu Pong was built in 1577. In 1866, its vihara was renovated by King Wanyanarangsi, the ruler of Lampang. It is located around Lampang’s old gate area named Pratu Pong which is the origin of the temple’s name. Its vihara architecture is in a Lanna style. The gable is made of teak covered by gold and decorated with pieces of mirror. There is a Kong Kiew (beehive-shaped curve) in Sai Moo pattern (in northern-style looking like pork intestine). The entrance is carved in beautiful pattern which is rare to be found. The stairways are in the shape of Makara splitting 3 headed Nagas. There are stucco sculptures in the shape of lions guarding temple at the foot of the stairs. The roof is three-layered at the front part. Behind the gable apex is shaped in a Naga crawling down from the roof top. At the central spine or Oak Khai has a tiny pointed spire arranged throughout the gable. The vihara is in a Ma Tang Mai shape which looks like luggage piling up high on horseback like a pyramid. The bottom part of the gable at the entrance of the vihara is carved in a shape of a giant splitting out a Naga. The interior structure can be seen inside the vihara. The upper area has a Buddha image covered with lacquer and gold leaves, Sattaphan/northern set of altar table, and pulpits for monks to sermon. The murals inside the vihara are about 12-month tradition, a way of life of the locals.


Reviews (0 Ratings)

contact info
Open 06:00-16:00 Prateep Muangkaen contact 081-950-9098
Phone 05421 7451
Admission fee -
Web site
Address 59, Pamai Road, Wiang Nuea Sub-district, Mueang Lampang District, Lampang